A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

TV Recommendation: The Riches

I don't watch a lot of TV, but I have to say that FX is putting on some mighty fine shows these days. Dirt is quite entertaining and it's nice to see Courtney Cox in a show with a little grit to it. Rescue Me, The Shield, Nip/Tuck-- all very fine programs, though I've only caught a show here and there of them.

But this particular recommendation is for FX's newest show, The Riches. This is the episode guide description to the pilot: Wayne Malloy (Eddie Izzard), partriarch to a family of Irish Travellers in rural Louisiana, takes his wife Dahlia (Minnie Driver) and their kids on the running after stealing money from the extended family bank. Seduced by the idea of a bigger life for themselves, and armed with the keys to a deadman's new house in a posh suburban development, they assume the identity of a "normal family"... setting in motion their dream to steal the American Dream.

Personally, I would describe it as the Beverly Hillbillies on steroids. Or perhaps, the Beverly Hillbillies meets The Grifters. There's the fish-out-of-water awkwardness and humor of this family of lower class travellers (gypsies) trying to fit into a rich, suburban world, but instead of the simple naivety of Jed and Granny, you have whip smart scoundrals willing to lie, cheat and steal to get through the day. The entire cast is brilliant, with Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver creating two of the best characters on TV in a long time, and the writing is razor sharp.

There have only been two episodes so far, but this is a show I will make a point of seeing and look forward to each installment. The only other show that I am that keen on right now is South Park. If you get a chance, check it out.

Labels:

Comments:
We saw the trailer for the pilot and thought it might be interesting. When is it on? My big fear was that Minnie Driver was going to have a horrible American accent. Does she manage?

Also, I know about the thin mints thing. Evil-peddling girl scouts. We bought four boxes and they are almost gone, gone gone. I think I feel my arteries hardening as I type this...
 
It is on Monday night's at 9-- and it shouldn't be on any earlier, as it seems to have a limit on using the F-word, but all other profanity is acceptable. Minnie Driver is great-- I didn't pay particular attention to her accent, but since I d/n notice it, I think it must be fine. She plays the "fish out of water but damned if she's going to let anyone intimidate her" role just beautifully.

Do you freeze your thin mints? They are good unfrozen, but frozen the "chocolate" coating takes on that sort of Magic Shell (remember that) consistency that is sublime in its artificial tastiness.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?