A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Friday, February 09, 2007

Sportsmanship

Far too little of it these days. So, I like this prayer (hat tip, Andrew Sullivan) by Tuesday Morning Quarterback, otherwise known as Gregg Easterbrook:

God (or Adonai or Allah), let me play well but fairly.
Let competition make me strong but never hostile.
In this and in all things, guide me to the virtuous path.
If I know victory, grant me happiness;If I am denied, keep me from envy.
See me not when I am cheered, but when I bend to help my opponent up.
Seal it in my heart that everyone who takes the field with me becomes my brother.
Remind me that sports are just games.
Teach me something that will matter once the games are over.
And if through athletics I set an example – let it be a good one.

Amen.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?