A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Phew! We Made It

Well, the world didn't end, so that's a relief. Anybody who bet that the world would end, you're a loser. And an idiot. I wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten on the 'World ends 06/06/06' and 'Bush's approval ratings back above 50%' parlay. Like 6 trillion to 1. Of course, you would've lost, but those odds....

So, day of the devil was pretty good to me and mine, I must say. My son played his fourth baseball game ever yesterday, and not only did he actually hit the ball (first time), he actually got a hit. Hard to describe the pride and joy you feel watching your five-year-old chugging down the first base line. I will admit I lofted a few prayers during what seemed like his five minute run from home plate to first: "Oh God, run faster!" "Lord, let the throw be wide!" "Thank you God that the first baseman couldn't handle that throw!"

You get the idea.

On top of THAT, he also got his second hit ever on his second at bat! Woot! On top of THAT, he ripped the ball really well on his third at bat (hard enough for extra bases, which is something normally reserved for the 6 and 7 year-old players). Caught. Are you kidding me? Now, you have to understand, these are 5, 6, and 7 year-olds-- that was only the third or fourth ball I've seen caught in four games. Ah well-- a hard lesson to learn, but an important one: sometimes all you can do is tell the other guy, "Nice play."

Finally, on top of all of that, his team won for the first time in four tries! I should say, our team, as I am the assistant coach-- and it is a truly wonderful feeling to see these kids playing hard, getting better, and finally winning. Some of them had never picked up a bat before. Heck, I'm not sure one or two of them had ever seen a ball before-- of any kind.

But they're getting it. Which is wonderful and alot alot of fun to watch. You can almost see things clicking into place in their little heads as the stuff that Coach Mike and I have been telling them over and over and over and over finally starts to make sense.

Ab... solute... blast!

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?