A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Friday, March 24, 2006

This is Just Wrong

Nanny-statism to the nth degree. I know, let's do this in Milwaukee-- then you won't be able to drink or smoke in bars. Granted, that might have a small detrimental impact on business-- but since it's a public safety issue, that's okay. Right?

Here's a thought-- why doesn't Carolyn Beck send undercover agents into bars who then arrest clearly intoxicated individuals as they get behind the steering wheel of their vehicle?

To paraphrase Pastor Niemoller's famous words:

First they came for the smokers, and I did not speak out--
because I was not a smoker;
Then they came for the inebriated, and I did not speak out--
because I was not an inebriate;
Then they came for the overweight, and I did not speak out--
because I was not overweight;
Then they came for me--
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Labels:

Comments:
Well, crusading moralists have made bars and drinking illegal before.

We can call it the Old Time Upright Citizens Act. It would be a piece of nostalgia legislation, to re-create the Good Old Days.

Snipe all you want at Milwaukee, but at least during Prohibition, we were the center of the underground resistance.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?