A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Overkill?

Good grief. Rutgers is a big school-- 50,000+ according to their website-- but what's the deal with this many different LGBTQQ (Lesbian/Gay/Bi-sexual/Transgender/Q... ummm... hmm... anybody?/Q... wow. Two Qs in a row? Queer, maybe for one, but what is the other? Not trying to be flip here-- I have no idea what those two Qs are supposed to represent.) organizations? I mean, having been friends with a number of gay people, and having a gay sister, I understand that there is a need for some sort of LGBT student organization on campus-- but seven distinct LGBT orgs, plus another three devoted to various women's issues?

Seems a tad excessive to me. But maybe it's just a reflection of the Rutgers' Community-- their "Committee to Advance Our Common Purpose" has 42 members. 42! Are you kidding me? It's hard to get stuff done with a committe larger than 5 or 6-- how do they accomplish ANYTHING with 42 members?

Just by way of contrast, UW-Madison, also 50,000+ and in one of the most liberal cities in America, has three LBGT student organizations.

I have no idea what any of this means-- I just found it interesting. And, I admit, I would like to know what those two mysterious Qs are at the end of LGBT.

Labels:

Comments:
Maybe the other Q is for Queens,

and why question 42??? it IS the ultimate answer after all.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?