A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Monday, January 09, 2006

"A Date Which Will Live in Infamy"

Said day was, of course, back in early December. So, why am I bringing up the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 now? Because I went to a Daughters of the American Revolution luncheon this afternoon to discuss the possible transfer of their historic records to the UW-Parkside archives. During that luncheon, one of the ladies read a brief article in their current newsletter regarding the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

And it occured to me that I don't recall hearing anything about that infamous day this year. Nothing, nada, zilch, zip, zero. Meanwhile, the rock radio station I listen to had an entire week's worth of tributes to John Lennon, who was shot on December 8, 1980. Nothing wrong with that-- Lennon is an icon, one of the most talented artists of the 20th century, and it IS a rock station.

But nothing on the bombing of Pearl Harbor? 3435 U.S. Servicemen killed in less than two hours, a day proclaimed to "live in infamy" and if there was coverage of the 64th anniversary (I have to believe there was something on the news or radio or newspaper), I don't recall seeing it. Maybe I was just oblivous, but if not... well, I really worry about the increasingly shorter attention spans of people in our modern world.

Labels:

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?