A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

E,S,L: Sports Edition

Eats, shoots, leaves by way of reminder-- not English as a Second Language. I've ridiculed sports web sites for having dangling participles, misplaced modifiers and one sentence paragraphs. Comes now the time when they disregard coherence and, apparently, just write down random words. From today's CBS sportsline.com article on the Brewers' 14-5 win over the Cincinatti Reds:
Jenkins also singled and doubled, and Clark also had three Brewers got 17 hits.
Anyone want to guess how this sentence is supposed to read? Because I'm really not sure.

On a non-grammatical note, it is awesome to see J.J. Hardy-- the Brewers' rookie short stop-- starting to hit for both average and power. After going 4 for 6 today, including a grand slam, he's at .235 for the season. Still awfully low, but that's up from .165 only a month or so ago. The Brewers aren't good-- but they are showing legitimate signs that they might be good next year.

For this year, I'll settle for mediocre-- .500 or bust!

Labels: ,

Comments:
Here are two of my favorites from a writer named Nick Weber:

1) Not so much with his first regular season installment of MMQB in 2005.

2) Which was Chad Pennington, quarterback of the NY Jets.

It seems that our host is as bad as those he blasts. Neither of these are sentences.

Scott Craine
 
Zoinks! I've been snarked upon. Still, it's good to know you're reading, Scotty.

A few fairly significant points in my defense:

1) I don't have an editor to double check what I write. Presumably, professional journalists working for professional websites do have editors. Though, also apparently, they aren't very good at what they do.

2) I am writing more of an "off the cuff" sort of piece when writing for the blog. It is not intended to be "journalistic," and, as such, I do not feel quite as constrained to strictly follow the standard grammar conventions. Were I writing a column for a professional news agency, I would be more careful to write in complete, grammatically correct sentences.

3) To say "It seems our host is as bad as those he blasts" is just plain silly. The particular "sentence" I criticized in this post was as follows:
"Jenkins also singled and doubled, and Clark also had three Brewers got 17 hits."
Which is not only not a sentence, it isn't even comprehensible. If you want to say that I'm a hypocrite, you might have something of a case, though I dispute that case via 1 and 2 above, but to same I'm just as bad... well...

Bite me.

Thanks for reading Scotty, you pedantic fool, you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?