A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Of Creeds

Creed:
1. A formal statement of religious belief; a confession of faith.
2. A system of belief, principles, or opinions.
3. A rock band of some renown.

I've never really thought about having a creed. I have one-- I think we all do to some degree-- but I've rarely taken the time to actively think about what it is, and I've never really written any part of it down. Yet this summer I keep bumping into them, and I find the concept of a creed as an overarching framework on which to structure your thoughts and actions-- in a word, your life-- to be an appealing and intriguing one.

Perhaps something that merits more overt analysis and consideration. At any rate, here are the creeds I've come across this summer:

1) The Rotary Creed. I have been processing the records of a local Rotary Club and came across their creed. Number 4 leaves me a bit... iffy... but I like the concept of thinking of our actions and words in terms of truth, fairness and generating goodwill.

2) The Jaycee Creed. More religious than the Rotarians, but I'm okay with that. And principle #4, That government should be of laws rather than men, rings so amazingly true in the day and age of political ego, divisiveness and corruption.

3) Andrew Sullivan's American Creed. Sullivan sometimes goes off the rails when he's on a topic of particular passion-- mostly homosexual rights and U.S. torture, or alleged torture, abuses-- but he is a keen observor of what makes our country great, and when his passions cool, he often expresses himself as well or better than any other political pundit out there. This creed is one of those times. I particularly like the third paragraph where he distinguishes between the pursuit of happiness and its attainment. Very persceptive and an important point that too often gets ground beneath the growing entitlement mentality that is pervading our country.

4) The Apostle's Creed. The granddaddy of them all.

Roll these four together and you have a pretty good basis for being: A christian, an American, a citizen, a neighbor, and a friend. In short, a good person. Of course, #4 is dependent on your religion, so substitute in your own religious creed as necessary.

Now the hard part-- trying to live by those tenets.
Comments:
One of my favorite creeds is the Rifleman's Creed. I admit that I am biased towards this one. I always saw it as a creed dedicated to mastering the tool necessary to defend against and defeat the enemies who would threaten one and one's country.

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will.

My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace."
 
That's great, Mojo.

Now, if only I owned a rifle.
 
You can always enlist in the Corps, Johnh. They'll gladly loan you one of their rifles and will also help motivate you to memorize that creed within the first twelve weeks.
 
No one respects the Jarheads more than me. And if they have a need for an overweight 44 year old dude with glasses and a lazy streak, then I'm there!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?