A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Friday, April 08, 2005

Something to ponder over the weekend

So, last night, out of the blue, my four-year-old son starts asking me all these questions about heaven. I'm guessing they talked about the Pope dying in his pre-school class. Here are some of his questions:
  • Is there sun in heaven?
  • Do people have houses there?
  • Are there toys? Because if there are toys, I hope they have Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I don't have any of those.
  • What is great-grandpa doing in heaven?

    It's amazing where these types of questions can lead you when you discuss them with a child. The answer to the last question went something along the lines of, "Well, I'm guessing that great-grandpa is probably growing plants. That was one of his favorite things, growing things." To which he naturally replies, "So, you have to eat things in heaven?" Leaving me... where? "Well, yes, I guess so. But even if you don't have to eat in heaven, I think great-grandpa would be growing things because that was something he loved to do."

    And on. It was both fun and charming and difficult-- how to explain some of the coneptions I have of the after-life to someone with only four and a half years of life experience. I recommend it to everyone.

    Which leads to this: in light of Terri Schiavo and the Pope dying in the last few weeks, how do you picture the afterlife? What's heaven like-- and do you think everyone goes there? Most importantly:

    Do they have Mutant Ninja Turtles there?
  • Comments:
    I'm with Andy there (recognized the nom de plume Jack)...especially the part at the end about heaven here on earth.


    But I also think that, yes there are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in heaven. In fact, I'd like to think that it's very nearly all Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in heaven.
     
    Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:

    Who, when he had found one a pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

    Yes, I believe in heaven.
     
    Oh, yeah, there's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles there. And pickup basketball.
     
    Post a Comment

    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?