A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

23 Days to the Guide!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy comes to the big screen on April 29, and I have to admit I haven't felt this mix of apprehension and expectation about a film since The Fellowship of the Ring. That turned out to be marvelous. Hopefully, the Guide will as well. The production/cinematics of the thing look marvelous, and though I don't know most of the cast, since they are primarily British, they do look the parts-- and having John Malkovich and Alan Rickman can't be a bad thing. Watched the trailer and was slightly surprised at the large quantity of explosions it contained, but I am heartened by the fact that Douglas Adams was working on the screenplay prior to his death.

After doing a bit more research, I am also encouraged by this interview with Garth Jennings (director) and Nick Goldsmith (producer). Somehow, they do seem to fit with the Douglas Adams mentality, and there is something appropriate about a first-time director and producer heading up the project. A "name" guy like Spielberg would bring too much "glitz" and well-worn techniques to the thing. The Hitchhiker's Guide is zany, it's irreverent, and it's different-- I think these guys get that. I am also encouraged by the fact that they feel the movie needs to have a "different feel" to it, and that it will not be CG driven.
Comments:
I read these books so many times I am afraid no movie could ever live up to the image that has been planted in my brain for each character and scene. I loved the first three books (the last two were terrible, the last especially) -- I worry that the script will deviate from what I thought was hilarious.
 
I only ever read the first three (back when trilogies were the rage)and I hardly remember them. Enjoyed Dirk Gently better. Bring on the movie. Worst that can happen is it will be it's own, unique thingy, just like the movie the Shineing wasn't much like the book, but still a great piece of film.
 
Saw the movie- didnt live up to the books- but what movie does ?(ok,maybe the Harry Potters)

best comment, from my best friend from the ÈQuillÈ.

'Marvin, the manic depressive robot, wasnt depressed enough'

I suspect this says more about my buddy than the movie- but, whatever.

Zooey Deschanel was cute, the Brit guy (Martin freeman?) who played Arthur Dent was suitably British and, well, Arthur Dentish. Nuff said
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?