A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library. ~Shelby Foote

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A few more thoughts on Terri

Man, I wasn't kidding when I said this case has ramifications across a wide, wide section of thought and opinion. I received two interesting comments on my Schiavo post, and they've made me step back a bit from my initial post. Seems likely that I fell into the same trap I warn others against-- don't listen to just one side of the issue. I have mostly been hearing and/or reading those who think that Terri's feeding tube should be reinserted, and I remain unconvinced that this isn't the right thing to do. But I really don't know enough about the whole thing to make truly informed decisions-- I doubt most people do.

At any rate, even if putting the tube back is the right thing to do, it to be done by Michael Schiavo. Or he needs to transfer his authority to make that decision to his parents. Absent that, the best thing to do is to keep this a state matter, and I am officially reversing my earlier approval for what Congress did to try to keep Terri alive. This is not a case that should involve ANY legislature. It really isn't a case that should involve anybody from executive or judicial branches either. And yet it has engaged all three at multiple levels. If there is one good thing about this case, it is that the need to make clear your wishes can never really be done too early.

Got that, everyone?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?